Haddock and cod are particularly rich in iodine a key nutrient that poses risk of deficiency when milk and dairy are omitted from the diet. Iodine is important for regulating thyroid function and supporting cognitive development in fetuses and small children. You can add salmon to this recipe to increase vitamin D too. Fish is also rich in vitamin B12 which is essential for maintaining energy and the production of DNA.
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and boil them in water for 12-15 minutes or until soft.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C.
3. Slice the onion, leek, and mince the garlic.
4. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion, mince, garlic, salt, pepper, and mixed dried herbs. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Skin and cube the fish and add to the pan. Stir well and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
6. Remove the sweet potatoes from the hob, drain them, and mash them until smooth.
7. Transfer the fish mix to a pie dish and top with the sweet potato.
8. Place in the oven 10-15 minutes.
9. Serve and enjoy!